I've been watching an assortment of classic films lately. Most of them are taking from the AFI "100 Years...100 Films" list. Yesterday I watched four films:
Taxi Driver, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, On the Waterfront, and
Fargo. My favorite out of those four was
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. On the Waterfront was a close second, followed by
Fargo, and then
Taxi Driver. Nicholson was BRILLIANT as McMurphy in
One Flew, and I <3 Marlon Brando (and, bear in mind, I don't use the "<3" as a meaning for "love" very often. So I mean that).
Fargo, it was just fuckin' awesome. Intense, brilliantly woven, well-shot, excellently acted, and fucking HILARIOUS at times. It was ballsy! And epic! The only reason I didn't really like
Taxi Driver as much as I thought I would was probably because I put it with a bunch of really good movies. If I'd watched it by itself I may have liked it better. Parts I found to be superfluous, other parts seemed just kind of weird. But De Niro is a hell of an actor.
Today, I watched another De Niro/Scorsese collaboration: Raging Bull. LOVED IT! De Niro's acting was brilliant, and the fact that he trained as a boxer in order to prepare to play a boxer is just amazing to me. And as for gaining all that weight to play the old, washed-up La Motta--wow. That's dedication.
Anyway, that's all. Really no point to this post, other than to commend these great films. Continuing with the filmfest later this week! Later!
-C.
No comments:
Post a Comment